Saturday, 1 September 2012

My first experience in a Malay cooking class: the famous Nasi Lemak

Everyone knows: the way to a man's love is through his belly.
Everyone knows: the way to a man's love is through his belly.
As most of the Europeans we believe with the saying that the way to a man`s love is through his stomach...and i do believe in it! It`s a great feeling to cook with your own hands and your loves ones to enjoy the food...maybe these days it is more popular to have a maid or just to go eat out...as in Malaysia it is still affordable to eat outside.

Sometimes I too enjoy to eat outside...but not all the times as the food may vary and not according to my taste and when this happens, I always say to my self, "I can cook better...".

As a Romanian, it is shamefully to not knowing how to cook, we enjoy looking at our mom or grandmothers cooking....but not everybody enjoy it due to:
  • Lack of cooking  knowledge or experience
  • Laziness
  • Careers
  • Tiring
  • Pride
I started to cook Malay food referring to Cookbooks and Internet...but i always had in my mind to attend to some professional cooking class...after few searches on Google i found Lazat Cooking Class in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, I was honored to book a menu class and to participate in my first malay cooking class.

The class started around 8:30 am with a morning walk to the wet market, getting familiar with the Malaysian vegetables, spices, fruits and many more...

The cooking class starts at around 10 am, with the traditional nasi lemak (the rice: which is a fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and "pandan" leaf commonly found in Malaysia), Kuih Cara (Savoury Meat Filled Cups), Sambal Tumis Udang (Prawn in Sambal Sauce) and Sago Gula Melaka (Sago Pudding With Palm Sugar).

The class went smoothly, a great atmosphere and kindness from the chefs/trainers...the class conducted was a real cooking class, not just a demo...was really enjoyed grinding the cili, onion, garlic in the traditional mortar, which is known in Malay as the "Lesung Batu"....everybody prepared their own ingredients for the dishes at their respective cooking station.



Cooking station
Lesung (Mortar)

 

The Attendees were Australians, a Japanese and  me (Romanian).

I recommend this experience  to any one interested in cooking. I do improve my nasi lemak cooking...


To reach Lazat you can check their site: 
http://www.malaysia-klcookingclass.com


Everyone knows: the way to a man's love is through his belly.

Everyone knows: the way to a man's love is through his belly.

2 comments:

  1. hope you had lots of fun learning how to cook nasi lemak. nasi lemak is def a nasional dish for me =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah...by the way love nasi lemak, eating a plate of nasi lemak will make you feel full :)

    ReplyDelete